Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tokyo Japan Week 16

Eikaiwa (English) and Music Corner Advertising

Awesome P Day with Oukinin!

Hey everyone!! It's been another awesome week here in Oyama, and I'm stoked to write about some of the really cool things that happened this week. Just want to say I'm jealous you guys are heading to Rodizios this Thanksgiving! Maybe in two years we'll go hit up Sushi and have a real Japanese Thanksgiving. ;) That's actually what I'm having this week! An awesome older couple named the Adachi's are having all the missionaries in the Kiryu Zone over for a Thanksgiving dinner. Their daughter married a young guy from Utah, so they know Thanksgiving really well. The Adachi's are seriously awesome, I love them! Although I'll miss you guys a lot, I'll have to do the best I can with my Japanese Family over here. Mamma, I'm way sorry I've been really lame at answering your questions, I'll be sure to answer them today! So... Yes! I did receive that letter package from Sister Chamberlain and the ward members, and it was really so awesome. I got it my second week in Narita I believe? But anyways! Sorry it took me so long to answer. Dad, I got Bishop Wunderli's referral in, it's now in the Tokyo South mission, and missionaries are on their way to contact her! So stoked to see what happens with that. Missionaries here don't get a ton of real mail, just little letters here and there, and then packages for the big holidays and birthdays. :) I hope that answers most of those questions!! Haha, onto the week. 


My awesome comps! Elder Broadhead, 18, straight out of high school from Heber City, Utah! And Elder Packer,  20, from Kirtland, Ohio. Related to President Boyd K. Packer!

Merry Christmas from the Oyama elders!

Oyama elders. Yeah buddy.
So! This week was REALLY awesome, starting off with Tuesday. Tuesday we all went down to Tokyo South Mission for a two mission conference with Elder David F. Evans. Can I just say, it was AWESOME. He got everyone very stoked to do missionary work, and he told us all about how this age change in missionary work hasn't only changed the missions, it's changed the whole Church. He told us the entire story of how it was decided with the First Presidency, and a lot of the things going on when they decided it. Apparently, President Monson's primary concern wasn't when we would leave, it was when would we get home. Long story short, after that was a lot of talk of, "After this get married quick!!" type stuff, but it really put some perspective into my mission. It really is an awesome chance for two years to really show how committed I am to this great Gospel, and a way to show that devotion to Heavenly Father. I'm really so thankful to be here every day, and I love being a missionary so much. The two mission conference was so great too because I got to see my MTC companion Elder Scott! It was an awesome reunion, and we had some fun together. After the conference we went back to the mission home in Nakano and had a really early Christmas party, which was such a blast. We had a white elephant gift exchange, which was way fun, and we watched How The Grinch Stole Christmas! The old one of course, not the Ron Howard (Sorry Whit.) Haha, but it was so great. It made me miss you guys quite a bit, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now. I'm so excited to spend this Christmas not worrying about gifts or things being given to me, but instead focusing on others, and sharing this incredible Gospel message. I love being a missionary so much!

Elder Packer and me. 
Shun had some issues with bullies at school, so we cheered him up with ping pong!

Shun and Elder Broadhead looking studly.
Our investigators here in Oyama are really doing so awesome. We invited basically all of them to be baptized last week, and we received all, "When I'm ready" type answers, one in particular that was so cool! It was definitely a Heavenly Hug. ;) So! We had a lesson with the Kakihara couple, who are a recently married part member couple. Sister Chihiro (wife) was baptized when she was little, but her husband has not. They're such an awesome couple, and we decided to go for a lesson directly centered on an eternal marriage and family. But some other news, BREE IS GETTING MARRIED! I got a wedding announcement the day of our lesson, and so I decided we should definitely use it in our lesson. It was such an awesome Spiritual experience. I was able to pull out the announcement and talk all about how she wasn't a member, but she was baptized, and is now going to the temple to be sealed for always and eternity. It went so well, and I have to admit I got a little teary talking about Bree, and telling the Kakihara's that they could have that same happiness. I'm really thankful to the people the Lord has placed into my life. :) Just want to testify a bit that our Heavenly Father knows us all so individually and personally, and as well the people and experiences that we have in this life are no accidents. Everything truly does happen for a reason, and everything we receive from our Heavenly Father is always done out of love. He loves us so much and wants us to be happy in this life, and that's why He gave us His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, who came to this earth and atoned for us. Not only for our sins, but for all of our doubts, and concerns, and weaknesses. In the Garden, He truly felt all of those things. I feel so thankful to be teaching about the true meaning of Christmas this year, and I'm so thankful to that atoning power of Christ's Sacrifice. But through the Savior, our sins can truly all be made okay, and we can move from those sins and mistakes, and have that chance to start fresh. I love my Savior Jesus Christ, and I'm so glad He never gave up on me throughout my life.

Oukinin and I doing some doodling!

My awesome companions on a Sunday Less Active visit.

Ward pot luck!

So just want to say one thing I'm way thankful for this year... MY RAD FAMILY! I just want to say thank you so much for all of your kind words, prayers, and just always being so awesome. My goal for this transfer has been to become a more charitable person, and have that immediate love for all of those around me, and I had to do some repenting for not showing that love in the past. I hope you all know how much I love you with all my heart, and how stoked I am to talk to you in about a month! How crazy is that?? I can't believe it's already been six months since I put on the tag and walked away! Except it was nice and hot then... Now it's pretty cold, haha. Japan is seriously almost identical San Fran weather and I love it! It's really foggy in the mornings now, and then it's that nice autumn chill, which turns to ice cold night, haha. But I'm doing great! Got myself some thermals, scarfs, really nice big coat, so it's just turning into some really great Winter Missionary Work. I just want to tell Mom and Dad how stoked I am to hear that you guys are being so active in the missionary work in our ward. Seriously, I can just imagine you guys rocking it like the Adachi's here in Oyama, and that makes me so happy. Missionary work was never meant to be a distinct thing of missionary and member. They go together, like a marriage as Elder Evans said (I laughed and thought, "Whoa dude! I just hit six months, calm yourself.") and it makes me so stoked to hear you guys have that vision. I definitely want to be more involved in our ward for the short time I'll be home after a year and half! Crazy right?


Ward party with our investigators Oukinin and Perara! They are both amazing. 

Ustunomia Shrine! Right in the middle of town.

Shrine selfie!
Me and Elder Broadhead!

Well I just want to say thanks so much, and I love you all!! Missionary work is truly awesome, and so much fun. Days are hard sometimes, but the Lord really does give us those Heavenly Hugs all the time. Our Father's love for us is personal to each of us, and He knows us so well. We had interviews today with President Budge, and during my sub interview with Sister Budge we talked about that. She just laughed when she found out about the guitar I had been given, and just was so happy to hear that the Lord had answered my prayer and gave me a chance to put music and missionary work together. Right now we're doing a music corner type thing right after English class where I play a primary hymn in English (indie style of course) and we share a message about it. It brings such an awesome Spirit, and it just makes me happy to be a missionary. I know I'll remember these times for the rest of my life, and I'm just way happy to be here. I miss you guys quite a lot during this Holiday Season, but I'm so thankful to be here in Japan at such an awesome time. I hope you guys have an awesome week! I'm praying for you every day, and I know that blessings are happening to us every day. Wow... was that bad English, that felt like bad English... I hope this Christmas call goes well and I don't have any issues with understanding, haha. Love you all so much! Have an awesome week! And Mom, I'll try to start including my favorite Heavenly Hugs in all my emails now! Thanks so much!!
Love,
Elder Justesen

Me and the Shrine!

It's looking like Fall!

Cool view of Ustunomiya!

No comments:

Post a Comment